ONLINE SUBSCRIPTION DATABASES
The following online databases can be accessed from any computers at school, or at home, with the password information distributed to you during Freshman Seminar or available at the desk in the Library. Links to them are also on the home page for the new Library catalog, Destiny. Shortcuts to Destiny are found on the desktops of all the Library computers, and will be available on the web shortly.
The smart student is the most efficient one. These awesome tools can help you finish your assignments super quickly and with the highest quality
1. Britannica Online
BRITANNICA ONLINE is a general academic encyclopedia with a curriculum-based database. It is very different from its free online cousin, britannica.com. It provides features designed to help high school and college students do their work more efficiently, such as:
• the workspace, to collect & save relevant search results for completion later without having to start searches over;
• MLA citations provided at the end of each article;
• print format icon at the top of each article, to more efficiently re-format article for printing.
2. SIRS Knowledge Source
This is our online database of magazine and newspaper articles on current social issues, organized by subject. Among its many features to help speed your work,
- it allows you to save relevant search results to enable you to continue your work at a later time without starting over,
- it allows a teacher to provide his/her class access to a specific article for an assignment.
- Each article includes the citation information necessary for citing your sources in MLA format in a bibliography.
- You can access it both at school and at home at this site:
3. World Book Online
This subscription database is an online encyclopedia with excellent educational features, geared to middle and high school curricula. One of the features that you may find most helpful is the World Book Advanced link at the bottom of the home page. The access information, for home as well as for school, is as follows:
4. SCIENCE RESOURCE CENTER
This subscription database is an excellent resource for the maths and sciences, including psychology. Please let me know how well it suits your purposes, since it is one of the newer ones.
Proquest is the publisher of many databases. Our subscription gives us access to six of them, all at this one access point:
• Proquest Platinum
• Electric Library,
• eLibrary Science,
• History Study Center,
• Proquest Learning: Literature, and
• Historical Newspapers.
With the school's usernames and passwords available as described at the top of this document, you can access all nine of them from any computer that accesses the internet.
Through Proquest, we also subscribe to three more products NOT on the Proquest home page but available at the following URLS, with appropriate access codes available as described in the first paragraph above:
Black Studies Center URL http://bsc.chadwyck.com
CultureGrams Online URL http://online.culturegrams.com
World Conflicts Today URL http://www.worldconflictstoday.com
Again, the password information is available from your teachers, or the library.